Friday, April 23, 2010

Friday's First Round Thoughts: The Jets, The Giants, Tebow and ESPN

The Jets
It wasn't what I expected, but overall I like the Jets drafting Kyle Wilson, a cornerback. Why not add to the secondary? If this kid can play, and Rex Ryan seems to think he can, it is going to be very hard for teams to move the ball against the Jets with Cromartie, Wilson and oh yeah, Darrelle Revis ball hawking. And you thought they blitzed a lot last year....

This season marks the best version of Jets cool aid I've ever had, I hope they don't change the recipe.

The Giants
I like them taking Jason Pierre-Paul here. The Giants historically have always had a big time pass rusher, at least when they are winning (Lawrence Taylor, Michael Strahan), so it comes as no surprise that the Giants go that route in the first round. I don't know him well enough to predict if he'll make an impact right away, but Osi Umenyiora is now VERY expendable and that should make Giants fans salivate.

Speaking of Cool aid...
Who slipped some to Josh McDaniels? Drafting Tim Tebow in the first round is going to bite the Broncos hard. After four years of college, I still don't see what it is about this guy that is so compelling. I couldn't teach proper throwing motion if I had a gun pointed to my head, but even the highlight package ESPN showed last night showed throws from Tebow that surely would be picked off in the pros.

At least Tebow knows how to conduct a professional interview. His interview with Jeremy Schaap was filled with regurgitations of "I'm such a great leader. I'm going to do what it takes to win a super bowl. It's about the team. I'm such a wonderful role model."

Is anyone else sick of this guy? Enough Already! Perhaps Tom Jackson said it best (the only time last night) when he said, "In the NFL you can only lead if you are on the field."

And You, ESPN...
For the first time I actually really wished I had NFL Network for the production quality. What ESPN did last night was disparaging to TV networks everywhere. The team, fearlessly led by Chris Berman included Steve Young, Tom Jackson, John Gruden and Mel Kiper and only Kiper had any clue as to what to say and when. Young can't spit a sentence out, Gruden has no on air presence and how many of you saw Chris Berman's freakout when he didn't know he was on the air?

Also, how do you ever have suspense in a draft if you show a potential selection beaming while on the phone being hugged by his family and friends MINUTES before he is selected. They did it with Bradford and I thought they would stop doing it after that, realizing their mistake but then again, this is ESPN, they make no mistakes....right?

No comments:

Post a Comment